First shock (17/10 05:45 GMT) location
The first quake struck at 8.45am (05:45 GMT) on Monday 17/05/2005 and was centred in the Aegean Sea off the coast of Izmir. It caused minor damage but no injuries.
The second quake, which struck at 12.45pm (09:45 GMT), caused further damage, smashing windows, witnesses said.
The first earthquake collapsed the walls of some houses, shattered windows in the town of Urla, just west of Izmir, and caused cracks in some buildings in the town centre.
Governor Oguz Kagan Koksal said there were no immediate reports of injuries and the authorities were evaluating the damage across the province.
The third shock (Mw 5.9 20/10 21:40 GMT) has been felt in Athens and Istanbul but not in Thessaloniki.
- Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute Istanbul, Turkey
- Earthquake Research Department Ankara, Turkey
- National Observatory of Athens, Geodynamic Institute Athens, Greece
- Preliminary MT solutions from NOA (K. Konstantnou, N. Melis, G. Stavrakakis; NOA) <%2Ful>
- Department of Geophysics, University of Thessaloniki Thessaloniki, Greece
- BBC News