Call for volunters to test an Androïd application for fast earthquake picture collection
The rapid collection of pictures of resulting damage after a significant earthquake can provide valuable constraints on the earthquake damage and effects,
which in turn can contribute to a more efficient emergency response. Embedded cameras in mobile phones can provide the most efficient and readily-available
means to collect these images.
Call for volunteers
The EMSC is looking for volunteers to test an Android smartphone application called RICHTER (Rapid geo-Images for Collaborative Help Targeting Earthquake Response.) This application allows earthquake eye-witnesses to easily and freely share their pictures of the resulting earthquake damage with the EMSC. Your opinions and feedback would be very much appreciated in order to help us provide the best possible services.
RICHTER is developed by AnsuR Technologies in Norway and currently runs on mobile phones running Android version 2.1 or later. The application automatically geo- and time- references the photos you take using either the built-in GPS when available, or via the mobile networks. The exact time and geo-referencing information is embedded in the picture file. It is then a simple one-click operation to send both the picture and geo-referencing information. RICHTER compresses the pictures to use less than 30 KBytes of data.
The use of RICHTER is free of charge.
If you are interested in testing this application:
- Please fill out the questionnaire below. You will receive an email with the URL and a login and password to download the application
- Before installing the application on your phone, make sure you have enabled "Allow non-market applications" under Settings -> Applications
- Download and install the application on your mobile phone
- Run RICHTER and enter the login and password you have received by email
- Click on "Take photo". RICHTER will access to the camera embedded in your mobile phone.
- Take a photo by clicking on the top-right icon. RICHTER will propose you to send it. Click on "Send"
For the test, please only take pictures of objects or landscapes, not of people
- Take and send 4 or 5 different pictures, then shut down the application
- Next, check your pictures on RICHTER server:
- Visit http://asign.ansur.no and connect with your login/password
- Verify that your pictures are correct
- Check their time and geo-location information
- Afterwards, you will be asked to fill out a short questionnaire on your experiences using the application